Friday, October 1, 2021

JN 134 Intro and favorite photo

My name is Logan Hannigan-Downs, I am currently a freshman at Linn-Benton Community College. I graduated from Philomath High School in 2020 and took a gap year due to Covid-19. My major is undeclared but I plan on majoring in Journalism. I have extensive photography experience and am currently the Philomath News photo intern. I have photographed a variety of sports and events, ranging from AAU Nationals in Houston, Texas, Wildfires in California, and Protests in Portland. Along with a vast array of local sporting events. During the summer of 2021, I served as the Corvallis Knights Team Photographer. 

I took JN134 to start my formal education in photojournalism and receive constructive feedback from trained eyes. My goals for this course are the following: Continue to work on my photography techniques and become a better storyteller through my images. Learn about the ethics of photographing and reporting on breaking events and natural disasters. I also hope to expand my network of connections and eventually get a job or internship with a Newspaper, Wire Service, or College/Professional sports team.

We were asked to pick a favorite photo to attach to this blog. I've always had a hard time choosing a favorite picture. But I am choosing this picture of the Corvallis Knights dogpile at the end of their season after winning their fifth consecutive WCL title. I really like this image due to the emotion it shows from the players. I also like Briley Knight jumping on the pile with his finger raised and his body position related to the dogpile. The water droplets around the pile add a dramatic flair to the image as well. While I am choosing this as my favorite image, I'm not completely happy with it. I wish I had framed it a little better so that the player's feet on the bottom of the pile wouldn't have been cut off. This would've taken a wider lens though, so the next dogpile I cover I'll definitely keep that in mind.

The Corvallis Knights celebrate their 2021 West Coast League championship title over the Yakima Valley Pippins in game three championship series at Goss Stadium in Corvallis, Oregon on Aug, 15, 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment